Outside in the street stands a man I havenât seen for a while.
âMuscle. What a lovely surprise,â I say sarcastically. He smiles. Appraises me as always. Shakes my hand. âWhat brings you to the Adriatic?â
"Your father sent me."
That lands the way it's meant to. I keep my face neutral.
âI donât recall having a father. Not since a certain plane ride.â
Muscle glances toward the entrance of the police station, then back. Old habit. Checking exits.
"He heard about Igor."
"News travels.â
"To London it does, yeah." He tilts his head slightly. "He wants you back. Wants a meeting."
I study him. Muscleâhis real name is Paul, but nobody calls him that, not even his mother probablyâis six foot three of quiet touchy-feely competence. He's been my father's since before I was old enough to know what my father was. He has a face that doesn't give much away and hands that could close around a man's throat without the rest of him appearing to notice.
"He could have called," I say.
Muscle blinks.
"My father. He has my number. He's had it for fifteen years." I look at him steadily. "He could have sent an email. A text. A fucking pigeon. Something that didn't require putting you on a plane."
Muscle has the grace not to argue with that.
"He wanted me to see for myself," he says. "That you were alright."
"And?"
"You look alright." He looks me up and down. Always the possibility of a double entendre with Muscle.
I shift my weight to my other foot. The sun is doing something aggressive above the roofline and I'm tired in a way that has nothing to do with sleep. "Tell him I'll be in touch when things are settled here."
"He won't like that."
"No," I agree. "He won't."
Muscle watches me with that careful, patient expression he's had since I was twelve years old and already difficult. Itâs different to the way heâs looked at me since I grew a body. He's weighing something. Deciding how much to push.
My phone buzzes in my bag. I pull it out.
A text from Miriam. Two words: âAll signed.â
I send one back: âSo, later this afternoon?â
She texts back: â5.30.â | "Igor's a vegetable," I say, before he can. "His life support will be withdrawn today at 5.30. Which means by tonight this operation is mine. The whole thing. Ports, routes, the compound, the island, the people." I pause. "All of it."
Something moves across his face. Not surprise exactly. More like confirmation of something he'd already suspected and hadn't wanted confirmed.
âWhat about Warren?â he asks.
âNot interested,â I answer without the requisite conviction. He detects it.
âBullshit.â
âThought youâd say that, but heâs signed a document. Witnessed. Miriam was there, with a thousand lawyers.â
âMaybe, but heâs following you. Or having you followed. Someone mustâve talked him out of walking away.â
âSo last nightââ
âWasnât Franjo.â He says it like heâs been waiting to. âWrong angle. Wrong calibre. Franjo uses a Dragunov. Last night was a .308, probably a Remington 700. Professional kit.â
My blood goes cold. The pieces click into place with sickening clarity. Warrenâs having me followed. Changed his mind. Decided he wants the lot and found someone very handy with a rifle.
My mind races through the implications. Mila in that cell, terrified and telling the truth. Franjo with his âfucky-fuckyâ threats but no actual trigger pull. And somewhere out there, someone with real training and real intent who barely missed.
âThereâs more,â Muscle says. He pulls out his phone, shows me a photo. Itâs grainy, taken from distance, but I recognise the locationâthe cafĂ© where I met Miriam yesterday. In the background, barely visible, a figure in dark clothing. Male, older, watching. âThis was twenty minutes before you arrived.â
I study the image. Something about the posture, the way he holds himself.
âThe man from last night,â I breathe. âThe one who grabbed me on the street.â
Muscleâs eyebrows go up fractionally. âSomeone grabbed you?â
âSaid heâd been watching me. I screamed, drew a crowd, he backed off.â
I watch Muscleâs face shift, processing this information. The way his jaw tightens tells me heâs recalculating something.
âDescription?â
âFifty-something. Grey at the temples. Moved like ex-military. â I pause. âCroatian accent but spoke perfect English. And a metal claw for a left hand.
Donât ever get one of those wrapped around a nipple.â
Muscle nods slowly and lets out a small breath through his noseâhis version of a laugh.
âThatâs at least four separate surveillance operations on you. Five if you count the cameras in your room.â
The number hangs between us. I feel something shift in my chestânot fear exactly, but a cold understanding. Iâve been walking through Split and Trogir playing the chess queen when really Iâve been the pawn.
âJesus,â I mutter.
âYou need protection,â Muscle says. Not suggesting. Stating. And you need to dress more conservatively.â He looks me up and down.
âI need my own people.â The words come out before Iâve fully thought them through, but once theyâre out, I know theyâre right. âNot borrowed from my father. Not inherited from Igor. Mine.â
He studies me with something that might be approval. Or respect. Itâs hard to tell with Muscleâhis face doesnât advertise much.
âSmart,â he says simply.
âI want women,â I continue, the idea crystallising as I speak. âEx-military, ex-police, I donât care. But women. They see things men miss. They can go places men canât without raising flags.â
Muscleâs eyebrows lift slightly. âThatâs...actually great.â
âDonât sound so surprised.â
âIâm not. Your father will be.â
âMy father canââ I stop myself. Take a breath. âMy father will adapt.â
A ghost of a smile crosses Muscleâs face. Itâs gone before I can be sure I saw it.
âI know someone,â he says. âBelfast. Ex Royal Ulster Constabulary. Undercover.â
âTheyâve got to be good, not just competent but actually good. Discreet. Doesn't need explaining things twice and doesn't get impressed by rooms full of men who think they're frightening. And I need to be able to get on with them.â
He's quiet for a moment. The sun hammers down on the concrete. A police car rolls past without urgency.
"So sheâll live on the Island compound. Some movement between here and Dubrovnik. Possibly London.â
"Yes. And someone who can run a security detail without making it look like one. Someone who blends. Doesnât wear black and walk around in jackboots with curly cords coming out of their ears."
He smiles again. Pulls out his phone. Scrolls. Stops. "Been freelance since she got out of Belfast three years go. I used her in Amsterdam in '23. She'sâ" he pauses, choosing the word carefully, "âeconomical."
"Meaning?"
"No waste. No noise. She solves the problem and you don't hear about it afterward."
"Can you reach her today?"
"I can try."
"Try hard." I start toward the car. "And Muscle." He turns.
"Thank you," I say. "For coming yourself. Are you around for a couple of days?"
He doesn't answer that. Just nods once, slow, and walks back towards a rental car that's too white. I watch him go. There's something almost paternal in the way he moves, and I have complicated feelings about that which I do not examine in a police station car park in thirty-degree heat. |
Miriam is leaning against the Mercedes when I reach it. She looks like a woman waiting for a movie star husband, not someone who just signed paperwork transferring the operational assets of a dead man's criminal empire into my name.
"How is Mila?"
"Thin. Franjo has been hitting her."
"Franjo?" Sheâs not surprised.
"Yes."
I get in. She starts the engine and we pull out into the traffic and neither of us says anything for a while. The city moves past the window. A market. Two tourists with the wrong shoes. A priest.
"The man outside," Miriam says. "Who was that?"
"My father's person. We call him Muscle."
She doesn't push it. She knows when a subject has a door on it.
| My phone rings. Unknown number. I almost don't answer. Then I do.
"Gabriella." A voice I haven't heard since my last wedding. Still the same register. Low. Careful. English with the edges worn off by forty years of moving between cities.
My father.
âGabriella,â he says. âI hear youâve been busy.â
The traffic crawls past a construction site. Miriam shifts gears with unnecessary force. I can feel her tension from here.
âA little. What can I do for you?â
âWarrenâs been making calls.â
âI know. Heâs having me followed, like half of fucking Split.â
âHe and some others loyal to Igor think the succession should stay in the bloodline.â
âHe canât seriously thinkââ
âHe can and he does.â Another pause. âHence the bullet.â
âWarren? But only days ago, he signed a legal document absolving himself of anything to do with the business. Witnessed, the lot. Miriam held his hand.â
The car lurches slightly as Miriam takes a corner too fast. Sheâs listening. Of course sheâs listening. Itâs hands-free, idiot.
âWell, he hasnât gone back to Dubrovnik yet. Holed up at the Cornaro.â
While Iâve been signing papers, bullshitting Igor and fucking bartenders, Warrenâs been hanging around here changing his mind. Watching. Planning. Being sucked in.
âI need you to come home,â my father says. âNow. Today.â
So touching, coming from a man who once tipped one of his sons out of a helicopter into an active volcano.
âNo,â I say flatly. âAs of 5:30 this afternoon, when they switch off Igorâs machines, Iâm running an empire worth several billion euros. If youâre so concerned about my welfare, you can get on a plane and come here.â
The silence stretches. I can hear him breathing. Calculating.
âYouâre not equippedââ
âIâm more equipped than the vegetable currently occupying the throne.â I lean back in the seat, watching Split blur past. âIâve got the papers signed. The accounts transferred. The captains already know.â
âThe captains know because Warren told them,â he says, voice sharp now. âAnd half of them think he should take over. They know heâs a pushover.â
âThen half of them are about to be disappointed. Warren has my phone number, and Iâm happy to chat if he wants to negotiate. So far the gutless little runt has blocked my calls and wonât call me back.â
Miriam takes another corner too fast. Her knuckles are white on the steering wheel.
âThis isnât a game, Gabriella.â
âNo,â I agree. âItâs not. Which is why Iâm not running home to daddy. I stand my ground here, now, or I lose everything before Iâve even started.â |