Welcome

A brand new start!
  • File size limit upgraded to 250MB. Still being tested. If you face any issues report them HERE

The comics reader/viewer thingy

anedcwan

I guess this is half bugreport half improvement suggestion:

The forum software offers a way to read comics directly from a post, complete with a content bar below each page.

First off, this is for some reason much slower in loading each page than other methods. Not sure what's up with that.

Secondly, either a page is rather small (making some comics hard to read) or you need to blow up each page but then you can't flip forward to the next page (in this zoomed view).

It would help if you could move the content bar to the side instead of below the current page... but honestly you need a viewing mode where each page assumes the full width of your screen so the bottom half of each page is below your screen, with easy scrolling AND still the ability to move to the next page without having to leave this mode.

Maybe hard to explain but go have a look at e-hentai. Their viewer is sooo nice. Each page consumes the full width. It's easy to scroll up and down. You simply click the image to move to the next page.

Thx

During the first load of an image, it needs to be cached on the server resulting in a slow load. Subsequent loads will be much faster. Also since our images are uncompressed some can be quite large.

The image should fit the width of the display unless the image is smaller than it. Can you provide examples of images that don't fit the width? While swipe might not work while zoomed in you can still use the arrows to change pages easily.

By content bar do you mean the thumbnails? There is a button to hide them at the top-right while in gallery mode.

During the first load of an image, it needs to be cached on the server resulting in a slow load. Subsequent loads will be much faster. Also since our images are uncompressed some can be quite large.

The image should fit the width of the display unless the image is smaller than it. Can you provide examples of images that don't fit the width? While swipe might not work while zoomed in you can still use the arrows to change pages easily.

By content bar do you mean the thumbnails? There is a button to hide them at the top-right while in gallery mode.
The easiest way to explain is for you to go look at any random comic over at e-hentai.

If the page "fits width" the screen will commonly only fit the top half or even the top third of the image. But the part of the image you do see is zoomed in enough to feature large text. If this view is the default, and the page can be scrolled up and down easily with the scroll wheel (without having to zoom in or press any buttons, that is the entire image IS loaded, just that the screen shows only a portion of it) you have a truly useful comics reader. Alternatively you do need to press a button but then you can move to next/previous page from *within* this zoomed mode. That'd be okay too.

Currently I find too often that I need to click each image, view it, leave zoom to do "next page", click that image to read it... and usually I end up googling the comics to read elsewhere - this site's chosen solution is just too cumbersome and slow right now compared to alternatives.

I would like to view each page "fit to width" with very easy and intuitive up/down scrolling (mouse wheel) and just clicking each image to view the next one.

So I thought I'd ask - maybe there alternative reader plugins for your forum software? Anyway, that's my suggestion. Thanks.

So you mean not to fit images to height? Currently, the images fit the screen's height and width. E-hentai does not fit images to the device's height, only to the width.

So you mean not to fit images to height? Currently, the images fit the screen's height and width. E-hentai does not fit images to the device's height, only to the width.
Well, that's apparently only true if you got enough points to activate this setting.

The easiest way to explain is for you to go look at any random comic over at e-hentai.
Like I said above, I visit there regularly but my page does NOT scale to the width of my browser's tab. It's maxed at 1280px and there's no way for me to raise that. All higher widths are greyed out in the settings for me...

Personally I would prefer it stay the way it is... Fit the whole image on-page where possible. Possibly also scaling smaller images to page-width/height (not saying screen because I don't run my browser in kiosk mode.)

FYI. There's a reason why you can't drag to the next image if zoomed in...
You need a way to be able to pan the image...
So, it's either get used to using the keyboard or the left/right arrow buttons on the page?
Although, I wonder how you handle posts where the poster still hasn't learned how to properly insert thumbnails when bulk attaching. Guess that's either ignoring the post or downloading it to read it in the correct order.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what you need if you strain your eyes to read a page if it is so small that its entire height fits. I guess you could also buy a "vertical monitor" but few people have one of those.

As I said, I ask for fit-to-width. That each page would show maybe even less than half the page's full height is okay (assuming panning the image is fast and easy).

And that you can quickly move from page to page while in this view (no having to exit a zoomed-in mode to reach the next page).

Exactly like e-hentai, in other words.

Which is exactly what you need if you strain your eyes to read a page if it is so small that its entire height fits. I guess you could also buy a "vertical monitor" but few people have one of those.

As I said, I ask for fit-to-width. That each page would show maybe even less than half the page's full height is okay (assuming panning the image is fast and easy).

And that you can quickly move from page to page while in this view (no having to exit a zoomed-in mode to reach the next page).

Exactly like e-hentai, in other words.
You keep referring to e-Hentai doing what you want... I repeat, that is does NOT show like plain users, e_hentai is max 1280px wide for me... and a lot of others.

1711653249054.png

Hath perks and bronze stars aren't a free commodity, so forgive me if I call BS with regards to your claim.

And you might like to have them fit-to-width, I vehemently object to having this as default. I detest the need to scroll images, and pages are rarely that high a resolution that you can't read the text if they're fit-to-page (both in height and width).

Another thing, overlaying the image with two half page click catchers to go to the prev/next page will prevent folks from using right-click to save the image (There are situations where the download link is not needed)

You keep referring to e-Hentai doing what you want... I repeat, that is does NOT show like plain users, e_hentai is max 1280px wide for me... and a lot of others.

And you might like to have them fit-to-width, I vehemently object to having this as default. I detest the need to scroll images
Why are you contrary or difficult? If you don't like my suggestion, just move elsewhere.

Even if e-hentai's picture is 1280px wide that's still good. It's still not limited by screen height. The bottom of the image still dips below the screen. This is good. This allows me to actually read the text without further zoom.

I have never asked for my suggestion to be the only setting. I am fully content with having to change a setting to get it my way. Stop crying as if I am taking away your toys. I am not.

If your eyesight is good enough you don't need to zoom in, then don't change to this setting I'm asking for, and you don't have to scroll. Simple.

Why are you contrary or difficult? If you don't like my suggestion, just move elsewhere.
Why? Because you're not the only person visiting this forum, and if I don't express my opinion, I might someday get confronted with a 'comic-reader' that's become a PITA...

I have never asked for my suggestion to be the only setting. I am fully content with having to change a setting to get it my way. Stop crying as if I am taking away your toys. I am not.
If your eyesight is good enough you don't need to zoom in, then don't change to this setting I'm asking for, and you don't have to scroll. Simple.
You didn't even suggested it as a setting, you just suggested how you would like it to work, if you had started out with that, I wouldn't have felt the need to voice my objection. ;)

Back
Top Bottom